“Mommy, eat Akyn Chochowait (chocolate).” My son’s request every time he sees me preparing the chocolate porridge for breakfast as we locally call the dish as “Champurado“. He loves eating it the same way as I do. This type of breakfast clearly reminds me of my sweet childhood. Almost everyday my Lola prepared rice porridge for our breakfast. I could finish two servings of it. Aggrh! It was so delicious especially if you’re going to add powdered milk as toppings. Hunger satisfied.
Do you also have a favorite food that can give a nostalgic effects on you? I got plenty of it. Champurado is one of the few of my fave dishes to start my day. Reminiscing those happy memories of being young while enjoying the food never fails to leave a faint curve on my lips and creases below my eyes. I’ve just realized how fast time flies. I’m feeling a bit old. Lol.
Mama brought back my recollection of my younger days when she gave me a Tablea (pure chocolate). She went doing grocery last weekend and had a chance to buy it. Yay! I just can’t wait to make my own Champurado again at home.
Sharing you the quick steps on how to make a homemade Champurado.
- 5 Pieces Tablea
- 1 ¾ Cup Glutinous Rice
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 8 Cups Water
- Powdered milk or condensed milk for the toppings
Easy to follow steps☺
- Boil water in a cooking pot.
- Add Tablea to the boiling water and continuously stir until it will dissolve completely in water.
- Add the rice to the mixture and set the fire in a low-medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Pour sugar to taste. Continuously stir to avoid the rice from sticking.
- Once sugar is evenly distributed and the rice is cooked, remove from fire.
- You can add the powdered milk or condensed milk for the toppings.
Ready to serve:
Someone is obviously excited to eat☺
I also love putting dried fish on top of it. This post makes me super hungry craving for it.
Thanks! Glad you like it.